Andrea Bursey, also known as Andy, is a Dietitian residing in Johannesburg and she is Relish’s Flavour of the Month for February.
I LOVE Sushi. Salmon sushi is my best. I am also obsessed with Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls. They are always so fresh and light.
There are loads of healthy food pages on Instagram where I love to get bits of inspiration from. I like to put them all together in my own way. One of my favourite Instagram Inspo’s is Andene Horn. She runs the Healthy Girl with a Sweet Tooth blog. Her recipes are very do-able and she inspires me to live in a balanced way.
I am a massive breakfast fan and luckily there are loads of cafes in JHB. The Whippet in Linden, a bustling hipster-style cafe, is amazing for fresh, nutritious breakfasts.
Beef Brinjal Sliders
I have recently moved to a low-carb way of eating where I replace processed carbohydrates with vegetables. There are so many different ways to use vegetables in meals and if you are getting your produce from a goof market they are also likely to be reasonably priced.
This recipe makes about 10 sliders
- 3 Large Brinjals, sliced into 1cm rounds
- Salt to sprinkle
- Olive Oil to brush brinjals
- 500g Lean Beef Mince
- 1/2 Onion, diced finely
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Basil, dried
- Black Pepper
- Basil Pesto
- Pecorino Cheese, shaved
- Tomato, sliced
- Sprinkle salt on brinjals to draw water out (about 15 minutes), once you see water on top of the brinjal slices pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Brush brinjal slices with olive oil and grill on either side (using a braai/BBQ or the grill in your oven – high heat) until they are charred with blackish lines.
- Burger patties: place chopped onions, beef mince, eggs and spices into a bowl and combine until well mixed. Place a bit of corn flour onto your hands and roll balls of mince mixture in your palms to make a ball and then flatten it out into a small patty. These should be quite thin, a ball of mince the size of a medium egg is sufficient.
- Brush patties with olive oil (a small amount) and grill on BBQ/braai or under stove grill until cooked to your preference. I used the gas braai for this and it worked a charm.
- Assembly time! You need to get as creative as possible now. Try to pair up the brinjal slices so that they’re of similar size. One slice is the bottom “bread bun” spread some hummus or a similar spread like cottage cheese onto the bottom “bun”. Place beef burger patty on top, top with gherkins, tomato, basil pesto and Pecorino cheese and finish it off with the top brinjal “bun”.